Sweet Potato and Black Bean Stew
Sunday, October 29, 2017
Makes: 6 Servings
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
small pepper Dried New Mexican chili pepper, whole
1 1/4 cups Fresh onions, peeled, diced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 cups Fresh sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed 1/2"
6 cups Canned low-sodium black beans, drained, rinsed
3/4 cup orange juice
1 cup Low-sodium chicken stock
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cups Fresh Swiss chard, no stems, chopped
1. Heat vegetable oil in a large pot. Cook chili pepper and onions for 1-2 minutes.
2. Add cumin and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add sweet potatoes, black beans, orange juice, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
4. Remove chili pepper and discard.
5. Add vinegar, salt, and pepper.
6. Add Swiss chard. Cover and continue cooking until Swiss chard is tender. Serve hot.
May serve over brown rice or whole-wheat couscous.