17 nominated for 5th annual Men of Excellence Awards
From staff reports
Sunday, September 15, 2019
Business leaders, doctors, a teacher, a lawyer and the Pasquotank County sheriff are among the 17 nominees for this year’s Men of Excellence Awards.
River City Community Development Corp., which presents the awards, will do so again at its fifth annual Men of Excellence Awards Breakfast at the YMCA at the Pines on Tuesday, Sept. 24, at 8 a.m. Seven awards will be presented, an RCCDC official said.
Don Roberts, co-host of WAVY TV’s “News 10 Today” and WAVY’s “News 10 Midday,” will be the event’s keynote speaker.
This year’s award nominees include:
• Darrell Cooper, a youth mentor and volunteer;
• Phil Donahue, a managing partner with MedAccess Partners
• Johnnie Finch, attorney with the Finch Law Firm
• Roscoe Paul Foreman, grade K-5 art teacher, J.C. Sawyer Elementary
• Ronald Griswell, counselor at St. Brides Correctional Center
• Russ Haddad, director of community and economic development at Elizabeth City State University
• Charlie Hughes Jr., a retired longshoreman and volunteer
• Jamie Lane, health services technician and clinic supervisor, at U.S. Coast Guard Base Elizabeth City
• Christian Lockamy, director, Elizabeth City-Pasquotank County Economic Development Commission
• Antonio Malakia, retired civil/structural engineer and volunteer
• Wayne Matthews, facilities manager, Museum of the Albemarle
• Mike McLain, certified public accountant
• Dr. Antonio Ruiz, physician with Chesapeake Regional Medical Group/Carolina Surgical Care
• Jeffrey Smith, student, ECSU
• Sonny Tatem, entrepreneur, Design by Purpose Beauty Salon
• Dr. Lindsey Lee White, president/owner, Eastern Carolina Cardiovascular
• Tommy S. Wooten, sheriff of Pasquotank County
Tickets are $30 or $225 for a corporate table for eight. Tickets can be purchased at www.rivercitycdc.org or by visiting 501 E. Main St., Elizabeth City. For more information, call 331-2925.