Va. man shot in Knotts Island


Bruce Bishop


By William F. West
Staff Writer

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

CURRITUCK — A Virginia man whom Currituck officials say was shot during a domestic dispute on Knotts Island this weekend is being held in a Virginia jail on charges already pending against him in a separate matter.

Bruce Bishop, 36, of the 4800 block of Blackwater Road, Virginia Beach, was taken into custody on Monday because of an outstanding warrant charging him with felony strangulation and misdemeanor trespassing, a spokeswoman for the Virginia Beach Police Department said.

Prior to his arrest on the outstanding warrant, Bishop was treated for gunshot wounds he suffered in Currituck County on Sunday, Sheriff Susan Johnson said. 

Johnson said in an email Wednesday that Central Communications received three reports of shots fired in the 100 block of West Blackfoot Road, Knotts Island, about 10:45 p.m. Sunday. Central Communications also received a report of someone driving away from West Blackfoot Road in a Jeep Cherokee at a high rate of speed.

According to Johnson, a deputy was advised that a man complaining of a gunshot wound had driven to Creeds Fire Station, which is over Virginia’s border with Currituck. Johnson said the man, identified as Bishop, was then transported to Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital for treatment of gunshot wounds to his right arm and right side.

Johnson said Bishop was served with the outstanding arrest warrant after he was released from the hospital.

A Virginia Beach sheriff's spokeswoman said Wednesday that Bishop is in custody without bond. She said the alleged strangulation and trespassing offenses occurred Aug. 24 and Sept. 14, respectively.

Johnson said Currituck deputies interviewed Michael Randolph Waterman, 61, at the residence on West Blackfoot Road where Bishop was shot. Conducting a search of the residence, they found a shotgun loaded with bird shot that is believed to have been used to shoot Bishop, she said.   

According to an incident report, Currituck authorities are treating the incident as an assault with a deadly weapon that inflicted serious injury. However, no charges have been filed.