Hertford police Chief Freeman to retire Dec. 1


Hertford police Chief Douglas Freeman will be retiring from the Hertford Police Department on Dec. 1.


By Peter Williams
The Perquimans Weekly

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

HERTFORD — Hertford’s police chief will be stepping down at the end of this month after five years as head of the town’s police department.

Hertford Town Manager Brandon Shoaf confirmed this week that Chief Douglas Freeman plans to retire Dec. 1. Freeman’s last day in the office was Tuesday.

According to Shoaf, Freeman is leaving now to have a medical procedure. He submitted his retirement letter on Oct. 30 and town officials accepted it on Nov. 1, Shoaf said.

“Doug has done well for the town and he will be missed,” Shoaf said in an email.

Freeman, who was hired in 2012, couldn’t be reached for comment. 

The town board will decide this week how to go about replacing Freeman, Shoaf said.

“We’ll have an interim in place until we can put together a hiring process,” Shoaf said.

Freeman was hired to replace interim Chief Mike Carver, who had served following the firing of former chief Joe Amos.

When he arrived in Hertford, Freeman already had more than 22 years of law enforcement experience. He had been serving as deputy police chief in North Topsail Beach in Onslow County.

Freeman served 11 years, including five years as deputy chief, with the North Topsail department. He began his law enforcement career in Kinston and worked for the Jacksonville Police Department as well as the Onslow County Sheriff’s Office.

While serving with the Jacksonville Police Department, Freeman was honored with the Life Saving Medal and received a Purple Heart for being injured in the line of duty. 

Freeman said he received the Life Saving Medal after he and another man performed CPR on a man injured in a motorcycle crash. The crash victim survived but suffered a brain injury.

Freeman received the Purple Heart for injuries he suffered during a police call in 1992. According to Freeman, he responded to a reported fight. When he arrived, he found a lone police officer surrounded by a large unruly crowd. Freeman drove his police cruiser through the crowd to get to the police officer. Both officers then responded to a report of someone being shot in a nearby club. Inside the club, someone hit Freeman over the head with a steel chair, breaking two of his vertebrae and leaving him with a head injury. Freeman later had surgery to have a steel plate placed in his head.