Wanted men have history of violent crime
By William F. West
Saturday, December 23, 2017
Two men wanted in connection with the armed robbery and shooting of an Elizabeth City man last week both have records of criminal violence in Pasquotank County, including a conviction and prison term for shooting into a house.
Police continue their search for Rasheen Raymond Williams, 28, and Rodney Wayne Stokely, also 28, following a Dec. 11 incident in which Jordan Baeza was robbed and shot in the 100 block of Raintree Run, which is in the Summerfield subdivision of Elizabeth City.
Arrest warrants indicate Baeza was robbed of his cellphone, worth about $500, and $4,400 in cash in the Dec. 11 incident. He was shot with a semi-automatic handgun, the warrants state.
For their alleged roles in the incident, both Williams and Stokely face charges of armed robbery, assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury, and first-degree kidnapping. Police consider them armed and dangerous.
Police spokesman Lamont Butts said on Friday he had no further updates about the police investigation of Baeza’s robbery and shooting.
Meanwhile, Baeza, whose condition at one time was listed as serious, was released from the hospital on Thursday, Sentara Norfolk General Hospital spokesman Dale Gauding said.
A check of N.C. Public Safety records shows Williams has a record of convictions dating back to September 2005, the most recent of which was in June 2014. In September 2008, he was convicted of discharging a firearm into a house on Hunter Street. He served about 2½ years in state prison for that conviction.
He also was convicted of possession of a weapon on educational property and aiding a minor to carry a weapon on educational property. Other convictions include assault on a female, simple assault, communicating threats, interfering with emergency communications and injury to personal property.
As for Stokley, N.C. Public Safety records show his convictions date back to May 2011 and his most recent was in November 2015. Stokley has two convictions for assault on a female and one conviction for assault with a deadly weapon with a minor present.
One man, 24-year-old Damon Shy’quay Williams, has already been arrested and charged in the Dec. 11 incident. Damon Williams faces the same charges as Rasheen Williams and Stokley: armed robbery, assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury and first-degree kidnapping.
Warrants show Damon Williams is also charged with second-degree kidnapping. The charge stems from his alleged role in the robbing and shooting of Baeza while in the presence of another person, Clinton Saunders. Generally, the difference between first-degree kidnapping and second-degree kidnapping is that in first-degree kidnapping, the victim is injured or sexually assaulted.
Damon Williams continued to be detained Friday at Albemarle District Jail in lieu of $250,000 secured bond. He appeared in Pasquotank District Court on Monday, where he’s due again on Jan. 4. He’s being represented by the Public Defender's Office.