Loading...

Grandy infant died of accidental asphyxiation Dec 26

Loading…

From staff reports

Sunday, January 14, 2018

CURRITUCK – An infant girl died of accidental asphyxiation while in bed at a residence in the Grandy area the morning after Christmas Day, Currituck County records state.

The girl died after she became wedged between a pillow and a bed, according to the death certificate, obtained on Thursday from the Currituck Register of Deeds. Asphyxiation is an extreme medical condition caused by a lack of oxygen. Additionally, the death certificate said the girl had been suffering from flu symptoms for four days, which the medical examiner noted significantly contributed to her death.

According to the death certificate, the girl was going to turn 2 early in February.

Currituck Fire-EMS Chief Chip Melton said the first word of distress came at 6:42 a.m. on Dec. 26, when the emergency operator received a call about a cardiac arrest off Barefoot Lane. Melton said the girl’s family had been asleep and then awoke to discover the girl was neither breathing nor had a pulse.  

Melton said a family member took the girl in a vehicle to the residence of Lower Currituck Volunteer Fire Chief Vernon Hart and also said emergency personnel responded and converged. Melton said the first responders immediately realized the girl was beyond the point of medical help.

 

Loading…