Camden woman faces murder charge

Morgan Lynn Mcdonald.JPG
1 of 2

Morgan Lynn McDonald


By William F. West
Staff Writer

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

A 20-year-old Camden County woman goes on trial today in Pasquotank County Superior Court on a charge of first-degree murder of a Camden County teen more than two years ago in Elizabeth City.

Morgan Lynn McDonald is accused of fatally stabbing Summer Faith Waaga, 18, in an altercation the morning of March 13, 2016, in the 1000 block of Butlers Lane. McDonald is facing life imprisonment if convicted of the first-degree murder charge.

A jury of seven men and five women was chosen late Monday afternoon after nearly four hours of questioning by Assistant District Attorney Kimberly Pellini and McDonald defense attorney Chrissy Simmons of Dare County. Two men were also chosen to serve as alternate jurors.

Judge Cy Grant, who is presiding in the case, told the jurors the trial would begin today and let them return to their residences for the evening. Court is set to resume at 9:30 a.m., with opening arguments by both sides, followed by prosecutors calling the state’s witnesses in the case.

Pasquotank-Camden Emergency Medical Services was called at 11:35 a.m. on March 13, 2016, to go to the stabbing scene on Butlers Lane. EMS tried to resuscitate Waaga, who was pronounced dead at 12:09 p.m. at Sentara Albemarle Medical Center.

Elizabeth City police in Pasquotank Superior Court records have detailed their case against McDonald, whose address is in the 100 block of Camden Avenue.

Police relied on a statement from Wyatt Dail, who said he and Waaga stayed the night at the house along Butlers Lane until McDonald arrived at 11 a.m. the next day and woke them up by knocking on the door.

Dail told police when Waaga got up and opened the bedroom door, he saw Waaga walk around and head toward the back room while McDonald walked into the bedroom to speak with him.

He told police he heard a verbal exchange ensue between Waaga and McDonald.

He told police McDonald walked out of the bedroom and headed toward the back room, but he told police he had remained in bed until he heard a loud commotion in the back room, prompting him to go see what was going on.

According to Dail's statement to police, when he got to the hallway, an injured Waaga ran past him, saying, “Help me.”

Dail told police he saw McDonald walking away toward Park Street and told police he performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation on Waaga until authorities arrived.

According to Dail's statement to police, he believed McDonald was mad at him for not picking her up the night before so she could hang out with him.

An autopsy report, obtained from the N.C. Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, states Waaga died of blood loss due to a stab wound of her right upper chest. The report states that Waaga was injured with a pocket knife.

Pasquotank sheriff's officials said McDonald is being held without bond at Albemarle District Jail pending the outcome of the case.