Newland man shot by stepson charged

johnnie johnson.JPG
1 of 3

Johnnie Johnson III

Deonte Stokley.JPG
Racquel Gibbs.JPG

By William F. West
Staff Writer

Saturday, May 26, 2018

A Newland area man shot by his stepson in April has been charged with two counts of taking indecent liberties with a minor in the days prior to the incident, records show.

Johnnie Johnson III, 40, of the 600 block of Crooked Run Road, was indicted by a Pasquotank County grand jury on Monday. According to the indictments, the offenses Johnson is charged with allegedly occurred sometime between April 5 and 13.

Pasquotank sheriff's officials said Johnson, who was arrested Thursday, was released after posting a $12,000 secured bond.

Johnson was shot at his home on April 14 by his stepson, Deonte Stokley, according to the Pasquotank Sheriff’s Office.

Pasquotank Sheriff Randy Cartwright has said the shooting was the result of a family dispute.

However, Stokley’s ex-wife, Racquel Gibbs, has claimed Stokley shot Johnson because Johnson had engaged in improper sexual contact with her and Stokley’s 4-year-old daughter. The girl was visiting Johnson’s wife, who is Stokley’s mother, when the alleged crime occurred, Gibbs said. 

Stokley, 28, of Windsor, remained at large after the shooting for more than a week until he was arrested in Pitt County on April 24. 

On Monday, he was indicted by the grand jury on one count of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill. And because Stokley is a convicted felon, he was also indicted on a charge of possessing a firearm while a felon.

Pasquotank sheriff's officials said Stokley continues to be held at Albemarle District Jail in lieu of $500,000 secured bond.

The grand jury also indicted Gibbs on Monday. She’s charged with one count of aiding and abetting Stokley after the shooting. Gibbs, 34, of Winterville, remains free on a $25,000 secured bond.

N.C. Public Safety records show Stokley, who was on probation at the time of his arrest, has a history of prior convictions in three Albemarle region counties, including one for being an accessory after the fact to involuntary manslaughter. He was sentenced to a minimum of six months and a maximum of eight months in jail for the conviction.