Case against Hunter on hold until November

Candice Hunter.jpg
1 of 2

Candice Hunter


By William F. West
Staff Writer

Saturday, July 28, 2018

CAMDEN – The case of a former state House candidate charged with cyberstalking a Camden County commissioner apparently is now on hold for another four months.

Candice Hunter on Friday morning was in the Camden Courtroom where Chief District Judge Edgar Barnes was presiding. However, District Attorney Andrew Womble asked for and obtained a motion to reset the case to Nov. 30.

Womble, with Hunter's defense attorney, Sam Dixon of Edenton also present, told Barnes the state is working on a final disposition of the case.  

Hunter, 46, of the 100 block of Greenwood Drive in Perquimans County, was defeated by Eddy Goodwin of Chowan County in the May 8 Republican primary in the redrawn state House District 1.

Hunter is charged with misdemeanor cyberstalking of Camden Commissioner Garry Meiggs, a supporter of Goodwin. Meiggs, in court papers, claims the case started over Hunter claiming that he stole her political campaign signs and escalated into her wanting the signs back or $300 in compensation.

Meiggs and Meiggs' wife, Sharon, were standing outside the Camden Courthouse after having been in the courtroom for a time on Friday morning. Goodwin also was with the couple.

Both Garry Meiggs and Goodwin declined comment. Hunter, reached later in the day, referred questions to Dixon, who couldn't be immediately reached at his office.

Womble couldn't be immediately reached later by email, but N.C. State Bar rules prohibit attorneys from making comments that could be seen as prejudicial in a pending case.

After the start of court on Friday morning, Barnes, at the request of Assistant District Attorney Kyle Jones, held the case open on the docket for the time being. Barnes proceeded for more than 50 minutes dealing with other cases before Womble and Dixon approached the bench and began conferring with him.

Minutes later, Womble asked for and got the approval to reset the case against Hunter.

In the Camden District Court files, Hunter is accused of electronically communicating to Meiggs “repeatedly for the purpose of abusing, annoying, threatening, terrifying, harassing and embarrassing” him.

Additionally, the District Court files show Meiggs has sworn out his allegations against Hunter in an affidavit handwritten by Sharon Meiggs.

According to the affidavit, Hunter requested help from Garry Meiggs with her campaign to seek the GOP nomination.

The affidavit states Garry Meiggs had already promised his help and support to Hunter’s competitor.

The affidavit states after Hunter lost the GOP primary, she began calling and texting Garry Meiggs and harassing him about “stealing her campaign signs.”

The affidavit states Hunter was coming to the Meiggs residence “to collect her signs or $300.”

In the affidavit written by his wife, the commissioner stated that on the advice of the Camden Sheriff's Office, he sent Hunter a text message telling her to stay off his property and cease contacting him by phone, text messaging or any other way.

The affidavit states Hunter began “a barrage of at least 24 texts,” with the last one being at 4:33 a.m. on May 11.

The affidavit was signed by Garry Meiggs and dated May 11.

The same day, Camden Magistrate B.J. Cooper issued a criminal summons ordering Hunter to appear in court.

On May 16, Dixon submitted paperwork to the court stating he would be representing Hunter.

The case was on the May 18 Camden criminal docket before Chief District Judge Barnes, but was continued until June 1.

On June 1, Barnes, at the request of both sides, reset the case to Friday to allow both sides to negotiate.

Hunter is the owner of a marketing company and is a former television anchor.

Goodwin, a former Chowan commissioner and a former director of the state ferry system, won the GOP nomination for House District 1 with 55 percent of the vote.

He's going to face Bertie County Commissioner Ron Wesson, a Democrat, in the November general election.