Fire displaces Knotts Island family
From staff reports
Sunday, July 29, 2018
KNOTTS ISLAND — A fire believed to have started on a kitchen stove caused extensive damage to a house in Knotts Island on Saturday.
No injuries were reported in the blaze that displaced a family of five from their home in the 200 block of Woodleigh Road, Currituck County Fire-EMS Chief Ralph Melton said in a press release Sunday.
According to Melton, firefighters were dispatched to the fire about 3 p.m. Saturday. When they arrived, they found the house’s attic in flames. Because of the extensiveness of the fire in the attic, it took firefighters about an hour to bring the blaze under control, Melton said.
Melton said the fire appears to have started on the kitchen stove and is believed to be an accident. He said the house’s occupant extinguished the fire on the stove but didn’t realize the fire had already spread to the attic. By the time the occupant called 911, the flames had already extended to the attic, he said.
“Everyone is reminded that it is always best to call 911 and have the fire department responding as soon as they are safely outside, because as in this case, fire can be hidden in a void space,” Melton said.
Virginia Beach firefighters, who assisted Currituck Fire-EMS at the fire, found the family’s missing pet cat covered in debris and unconscious, Melton said. Using their animal resuscitator, the Virginia Beach firefighters were able to revive the cat, he said.
The family of five displaced from the home includes four children, Melton said. All are now staying with relatives who live in the area. Melton invited anyone wishing to help the family financially to do so by visiting Freefunder.com and clicking on “House fire on Knotts Island.”
Besides firefighters from Currituck Fire-EMS and Virginia Beach, other agencies responding to Saturday’s fire were the Knotts Island Volunteer Fire Department, the Currituck Sheriff’s Office and Virginia Beach EMS.