Woman charged with assault on detention facility officer


By Chris Day
Multimedia Editor

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

CURRITUCK — A Jarvisburg woman is facing a felony charge after allegedly assaulting and injuring an officer at the Currituck County Detention Center.

Leah Denise Stone, 32, of the 100 block of Golden Jublilee St., Jarvisburg, was arrested Thursday, Feb. 7, and charged with one count of felony assault on a detention officer, causing physical injury, a copy of her arrest report states.

The alleged assault on detention facility officer Renita Jones occurred Tuesday, Feb. 5, at the detention center at 407 Maple Road, Maple. Stone was arrested on a warrant issued Feb. 7 by Magistrate Austin T. Beasley.

According to her arrest warrant, Stone allegedly bit Jones as the officer was trying to restrain Stone, who had become unruly. The alleged assault caused physical injuries to Jones that included bruising, swelling and teeth marks, the warrant states.

Stone’s secured bond for the assault charge was set at $10,000.

At the time, Stone was already confined at the detention center on misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct and violation of the county’s leash law. Stone was arrested on those charges Feb. 4, Magistrate MJ Ferrell’s arrest order states, because she interfered with traffic on Peachtree Street by jumping on the hood of a vehicle. She also allegedly allowed her dog to run at large and off its leash, which is a violation of county ordinances. Stone’s secured bond on those charges was set at $2,000.

Stone was released from the detention center on Feb. 8 after posting bail for both arrests. Her next appearance in District Court on all three charges is Wednesday.

Stone also will appear in court on Wednesday on additional charges dating back to November.

According to a magistrate’s order for arrest, Stone was arrested Nov. 23 and charged with one misdemeanor count of simple assault after she allegedly struck another woman in the mouth. Stone was released after posting bail for that charge.

On Dec. 12, she was arrested again after failing to appear in court to face the simple assault charge.