A Thriller: NHS rallies for quarterfinal victory in OT

1 of 3

Staff Photo by Thomas J. Turney Northeastern's Corleis Riddick during the game with First Flight, Tuesday, February 14, 2017.


By Malcolm Shields
Sports Writer

Tuesday, February 14, 2017


When the Northeastern girls’ basketball team needed a big performance from junior Breanna Proctor, she delivered.

Proctor’s game-winning basket with less than 25 seconds remaining gave the Lady Eagles a 60-58 victory in overtime against First Flight on Tuesday at Pasquotank.

The win earned the Lady Eagles (7-13) a spot in the Northeastern Coastal Conference semifinal today against Pasquotank at Hertford County.

Proctor led NHS with a game-high 26 points.

The Lady Eagles lived by a motto Northeastern girls basketball coach Pat Thornton said the team spoke about prior to Tuesday’s game.

“You got to fight to live another day,” Thornton said. “That’s what they did.”

The NHS coach added that her seniors weren’t ready to see the season end.

One of those seniors that had a solid game on both ends of the floor was Alexis Harris who scored 11 points for NHS, while junior Corleis Riddick had with 17.

“She’s played more calmly,” Thornton said of Harris. “The last few games she has settled down.”

Thornton credited both Harris and Riddick for handling the basketball, even though it isn’t their strength.

“They have done an admirable job,” Thornton said. The coach added that Harris and Riddick have gotten better as the year has progressed.

It appeared that the No. 6 seeded Lady Eagles were about to see their season come to an end in the final period.

No. 3 First Flight (14-8) implemented a press that NHS struggled to break at times in the fourth.

A four-point advantage after three quarters turned into a Lady Nighthawks 40-37 lead early in the final frame.

The Lady Nighthawks held a 51-50 lead with less than 10 seconds remaining.

NHS missed multiple shots, but Proctor was fouled with 1.9 seconds to go.

Proctor made one of two from the free-throw line to send the game into overtime.

In the extra period, Proctor scored the first four points to give NHS a 55-51 lead.

“We just tried to dump it in there as much as we could,” Thornton said.

First Flight went through some attrition as it had three players pick up their fifth foul in the extra period guarding Proctor.

The Lady Nighthawks rallied in the extra frame.

A Jaylan Ulmer 3-pointer with a pair of made free throws by Jayden Carpenter fueled a First Flight run to eventually tie the game at 58 all with 40.9 seconds to go.

The Lady Eagles appeared to be cruising to an upset win in the first half.

Northeastern extended a two-point lead after the first quarter and led by as much as eight points in the second.

Proctor, along with Riddick and Harris played big roles in the Lady Eagles’ run.

The Lady Nighthawks rallied in the final few minutes of the quarter as they were able to connected on multiple shots from behind the 3-point line to trail 28-25 at halftime.

First Flight’s run was aided late in the quarter as Proctor sat on the bench.

Pasquotank 50, Hertford County 44: The No. 2 seed Lady Panthers were able to hold on after a 10-point lead in the fourth quarter to advance on Tuesday night.

Sophomore Mikasia Jordan scored a game-high 16 points, while Amaya Simpson had 13 and Kennedy Griffin eight for Pasquotank (13-8).

Pasquotank held off No. 7 seed Hertford County (3-21) for much of the second half without Dazia Williams, who was on the bench because of foul trouble.

Williams finished with 10 points.

Brianna Howard led Hertford County with nine.

The Lady Panthers got additional scoring from Camryn West, who connected on a pair of 3-pointers in the second quarter. West finished with seven points.

Now for the second consecutive season, Pasquotank and Northeastern will meet in the league tournament.

Edenton 46, Currituck 38 (OT): The day’s second overtime matchup saw the Lady Aces push past Currituck.