Championship Friday

Perquimans basketball advances to title games

1 of 4

Perquimans' Asha Elliott during the scored 18 points during the girls basketball game against Bear Grass Charter, Thursday, December 27, 2018 at Perquimans County High School.


By Malcolm Shields
Sports Editor

Friday, December 28, 2018

HERTFORD — The Perquimans boys and girls basketball teams went 2-for-2 during the opening day of their Christmas tournaments Thursday at Perquimans County High School.

The Perquimans girls’ basketball team scored the first 23 points of the game as it cruised to the 67-10 win against Bear Grass Charter Thursday evening.

Perquimans led by more than 40 points in the second half, which led to a running clock for the majority of the second half.

In the first half, the Lady Pirates used their press defense to force multiple Bear Grass (0-7) turnovers.

That led to multiple easy baskets for Perquimans.

Bear Grass did not score its first points until two free throws by McKenzie Sawyer with less than a minute remaining in the first quarter.

Asha Elliott led Perquimans with 18 points, Jada Modlin followed with 11 points, while Zakilyah Clark had eight points.

Every player on the Perquimans roster that played scored a point in the game.

“I try to teach them that we don’t worry about who scores the points. It’s a team effort,” Perquimans girls’ basketball coach Aaron Burke said.

The Lady Pirates (7-2) will face Nansemond-Suffolk Academy (6-4) in the championship game of the girls tournament today at 4:30 p.m.

NSA defeated Northeastern (0-7) in the first girls game of the tournament Thursday afternoon.


Perquimans 56, Gateway Christian (Va.) 48: Perquimans (5-4) had a solid defensive performance as it secured the win in the second boys contest of the day Thursday.

“We made enough plays to get through,” Perquimans boys’ coach Colin Woodley said. “I felt we were two or three plays away from trying to blow the game open. Neither team could make that run. We made enough plays down the stretch to hold on.”

Keshawn Long scored tough baskets inside in the game as he led the Pirates with 12 points with 10 of those points coming in the second half.

“He really made some scrappy plays that made a big difference by the glass,” Woodley said. “Without him, it’s a different ball game.”

Gateway Christian (7-8) scored 12 or less points in each of the first three quarters of the game.

Woodley noted that he was happy with his team’s defensive play, but added that execution could have been better on offense.

Perquimans held a 49-39 lead late in the fourth quarter, but Gateway was able to shorten the deficit to six at 51-45 following a Darius Woods basket.

Woods led Gateway with 14 points.

The Pirates got enough stops in the final minutes of the fourth and was aided by converted free throws by Kesian Elliott and Shelton Nixon to pull away.

Amarion Hunter also had key baskets in the contest has he finished with eight points, while Treveon Jones posted seven points.

Elliott and Nixon scored six points each.

In the second quarter, the Pirates led by as much as eight points and held a 26-19 lead at halftime.

The Pirates led 14-10 after the first quarter.

PQ was active on the boards as Ceo Riddick had a put back slam dunk in the first quarter.

The Pirates will face Portsmouth Christian in the boys’ championship game at 6 p.m. today

Portsmouth Christian (Va.) 52, Currituck 49: The Knights (4-4) watched a nine-point fourth quarter lead slip away as the Patriots stunned the Knights in the first game of the boys tournament Thursday.

Tim Montgomery led Portsmouth Christian (7-3) with 18 points.

Montgomery scored 12 points in the fourth quarter, which included the go-ahead basket on a drive to the basket.

Currituck tried to draw a charge, but the call on the floor was a blocking foul.

“I had to score,” Montgomery said. “They didn’t have an answer for me. I had to go get a bucket and be clutch.”

Montgomery connected on the free throw to give the Patriots the 3-point advantage with 1.7 seconds remaining.

Ricky Owens’ last chance shot at the basket was off target. 

Before Portsmouth Christian went on the run, head coach Gregory Montgomery had a simple message to his team.

“Stay together and anything can happen down the stretch,” he said.

The coach added that he told them to play solid defense.

“We were scrambling and trying to get turnovers,” coach Montgomery said. “and it work in our favor.”

Before the go-ahead basket, Currituck had a turnover at mid court and could not corral a rebound on one of Montgomery’s free-throw attempts after he tied the game at 49-all.

The Patriots, which only had seven players active for the game was even more short-handed when one of their guards fouled out in the second half.

For Currituck coach Gunnell Rupert, execution by his team late was not the best.

“We were really sloppy,” he said. “We didn’t have a great awareness of what was going on. Guys let their guard down. Every time you lace ‘em up, you got to be ready to go for four quarters, all the way to the end. We didn’t play well. We didn’t execute well. We didn’t defend well. We have to play better than that.”

Currituck’s KJ Harvey was active on the boards and in the paint as he scored 17 points, while Ricky Owens, who also had a strong game followed with 15 points.

Rupert noted that Harvey and Owens have had solid seasons so far, but added that the team needs all five players on the floor with their heads and hearts in the game at all times.

In the second quarter, the game slowed down as the fouls on both sides began to add up.

Currituck was already in the bonus late in the first quarter and the Patriots soon followed.

Portsmouth Christian had success driving the ball to the basket as guard Tim Montgomery was able to break down Currituck’s defense.

The Knights had to play the remainder of the last 5:49 of the second quarter when Owens got in foul trouble.

The Currituck offense struggled a bit, but was able to get baskets inside by Harvey and Josh Aubuchon.

The Knights took a 23-14 lead in the second following a Devin Whiteman basket.

With both team in the double bonus, the late stages of the first half was a parade to the free-throw line.

Currituck led 27-21 at halftime.

Owens had a strong first quarter has he was able to get to the basket on drives, jumpers along with getting baskets off of offensive rebounds.

He also added a 3-pointer to score seven first quarter points.

Currituck will play Gateway Christian in the third place game today at 3 p.m.