Man in custody after chase

By William F. West

The Daily Advance

5 Comments | Leave a Comment

A Perquimans County man, already facing drug trafficking and assault charges, is being held at Albemarle District Jail in lieu of a $300,000 secured bond after Elizabeth City police say he led them on a high-speed chase this weekend that damaged two patrol cars.

Dear Reader,
This content is only available to subscribers of The Daily Advance print and/or e-edition. If you are a current subscriber and have established a user name and password, you can log in. If you have not established your user name and passwords, click here to set up your information.
To become a subscriber, click here.


Young Said

Oh my gosh. Did you ask a third grader to write this article? You could have prefaced the article to say, "according to Capt John Young the following sequence of events occurred"...... Instead you repeated again and again and again "Young said". Thirteen times! Oh for a little variety you tossed in a few "he said". This must rank as the poorest article and most unprofessional ever written by the Daily Advance. I know it was painful to read. As I read the article I felt embarrassment on your behalf. This should certainly be hung in your hall of shame. A Perquimans County man, already facing drug trafficking and assault charges, is being held at Albemarle District Jail in lieu of a $300,000 secured bond after Elizabeth City police say he led them on a high-speed chase this weekend that damaged two patrol cars. Antone Tremaine Whidbee, 30, of the 1700 block of Harvey Point Road, is charged with one count of felony fleeing to elude arrest with a motor vehicle and with two counts of felony assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill. Whidbee is also charged with multiple misdemeanor traffic violations. According to Pasquotank court records, the chase began after an officer clocked Whidbee driving 50 mph in a 35 mph on West Ehringhaus Street about 2:15 a.m. Sunday. When the officer tried to stop Whidbee’s vehicle by turning on his blue lights, Whidbee continued on, running a red light at Church Street and Hughes Boulevard, Capt. John Young said. Traveling north on Hughes Boulevard, Whidbee’s vehicle was clocked at more than 90 mph, he said. Whidbee turned off Hughes and made repeated turns in an attempt to elude other officers who had joined the chase, Young said. During the pursuit, Whidbee forced at least one driver off the roadway, he said. Officers caught up with Whidbee near Knobbs Creek Drive and again tried to halt his vehicle, but were unsuccessful, Young said. Two officers followed Whidbee’s car out of the city, Young said. Whidbee, nearing the junction of North Road Street and Northside Road, overshot the turn onto Northside, Young said. Whidbee’s car crossed the median, dodged a utility pole and ended up in a ditch, Young said. Whidbee managed to get the car out of the ditch, however, and accelerated toward a police vehicle being driving by Sgt. Michael Marriner, Young said. Marriner drove forward to avoid a direct collision, but Whidbee’s vehicle still struck the patrol car’s left rear tire, Young said. Whidbee then drove toward Officer Heather Deluca, who had gotten out of her patrol car, Young said. Whidbee missed Deluca but rammed into the front end of her car, Young said. Whidbee then put his car into reverse and drove off on Northside Road. Deluca got back into her car and gave chase, following Whidbee to where Tift Lane dead ends, Young said. Whidbee then made a U-turn and drove toward Deluca before steering his vehicle into the backyard of a residence, Young said. After Whidbee’s car came to a stop, he got out and ran away, Young said. Some 17 hours later, he turned himself him to authorities, Young said. Police said damages to the two patrol cars totalled $8,000. Whidbee is due in Pasquotank District Court on Aug 4. In addition to the felony charges, Whidbee is also charged with two counts of injury to personal property and two counts of hit and run, and one count each of careless and reckless driving, running a red light, driving while his license was revoked, driving while his vehicle registration was expired and driving with no current vehicle inspection. He’s also charged with one count of driving more than 100 mph in a 45-mph work zone, transporting an open container of liquor and littering. Whidbee has several previous arrests, according to Pasquotank court records. On Sept. 17, 2012, he was indicted on charges of assault inflicting serious bodily injury. The charge stems from an April 14, 2012, incident at a convenience store in which Whidbee is alleged to have fractured a man’s nose. Whidbee also was indicted May 7, 2013, on charges of possession with the intent to sell or deliver heroin, possession with the intent to sell or deliver cocaine and maintaining a dwelling for keeping a controlled substance. He also was indicted Feb. 10 this year on a charge of trafficking cocaine. Whidbee had been free on secured bonds for both the assault and drug charges. Whidbee also has a prison record, according to N.C. Public Safety records. He served a few months in prison after being convicted Dec. 8, 2008, on charges in Perquimans County of possession of illegal drugs and resisting an officer.


Let me see if I have this correct. You complain about the quality (or lack thereof) of the writing in this article, but then 'copy and paste' the entire thing back into your comment block? Did you edit it for submission? Help me understand.


I did not edit it. The reason for the copy/paste is because the DA at times will correct their online article after errors are pointed out. I wanted to show the original article.


Pointless. Do you have personal issues with TDA staff?

That is what happens when.........

you are a "stone(d)girl"!. Repeating ones's self, or others, is a natural progression back to ignorant!

Add comment

Login or register to post comments