Next week is Coast Guard Week. It’s the time each year when Elizabeth City celebrates the men and women in True Blue, and their families. It’s the time of year when we say thanks for all you do.
The week of events, cooridinated by the Elizabeth City Area Chamber of Commerce features discounts for Coast Guard members at local stores and businesses, the Friday Night Art Walk and Coast Guard Day, an on-base celebration.
Also, look for The Daily Advance’s annual Coast Guard Tab inserted in this Sunday’s edition. Inside you’ll find interesting stories about the men and women who have dedicated their lives to the U.S. Coast Guard.
The following is a listing of scheduled events this week:
• Monday, 5p.m. to 9 p.m.: Firehouse Subs Hero Appreciation Night at 316 West Ehringhaus Street. Mascots, fire trucks, a Pasquotank-Camden Emergency Medical Services ambulance and face-painting will be featured. Door prizes will be given away. Also those presenting a military ID can receive 20 percent off any purchase.
• Monday through Saturday, 2, 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.: Pineapple Café, 1775 Weeksville Road, will sell desserts for half-price to those presenting a military ID.
• Tuesday, all day: The Pines at Elizabeth City, 1525 North Road Street, will offer free golf for active duty Coast Guard personnel. Coast Guard families may also enjoy the pool for free.
• Tuesday, 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.: Chick-Fil-A Coast Guard Family Fun Day, 1706 West Ehringhaus Street. Free Chick-Fil-A sandwiches will be given away all day to those with military ID.
• Wednesday, 3 p.m. to 9 p.m.: Rock and Bowl Night at Albemarle Lanes, 603 South Hughes Boulevard. Those presenting military ID can receive half off the price to bowl and the rental of bowling shoes.
• Thursday, noon to 3 p.m.: Coast Guard Day will be celebrated at Base Elizabeth City. Lunch will served by community leaders. The event will feature live music, clowns, games, rides and vendors. The event is only open to those with clearance to be on base.
• Friday, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. The First Friday Art Walk will be held in Elizabeth City’s downtown. Military discount flyers will be posted in downtown merchants’ windows. Arts of Albemarle will offer refreshments and 10 percent discounts to military personnel who shop at the AoA gallery that evening.
• Friday, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.: Evangelical Methodist Church, 820 Old Okisko Road, will provide free child care for “Coast Guard Date Night.” Activities and snacks will be provided to the children.
• Saturday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Downtown Waterfront Market at Mariners’ Wharf Park. Coast Guard members are encouraged to look for merchants offering discounts.
• Saturday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. GEM Fitness, 127 Jordan Plaza. Free day at the gym
• Sunday, 11:30 a.m. Forest Park Church, 300 Forest Park Road. The church will hold a service in honor of Coast Guard personnel. Attendees may wear casual attire. The church will serve refreshments afterward.