Girls Inc., is celebrating 62 years of service this month and they would like you to join them for a big Christmas happening.
Saturday, Hoffer River Garden Estate in Hertford will host a Candlelight Tour to not only celebrate the years of service to area girls that Girls Inc., has provided, but also to celebrate the joy of the season.
The event happens from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at 158 East Camp Perry Rd., in Hertford. Tickets are $12 in advance and can be purchased at Hoffer Gallery, Clown ‘n around or White’s Dress Shoppe in Hertford. Tickets can also be purchased at the door for $15.
The proceeds help benefit Girls Inc.
Mami Hoffer created Hoffer River Garden Estate as a place to hold fundraisers. Five years ago Hoffer decided to build a new dream home, a 5,000-square-foot house with a spiral staircase, a ballroom and an English garden.
The River House and garden are located next to Hoffer’s private residence and separated by the English garden. The garden is landscaped with a fountain in the center of four quadrants which represent the four seasons. Each quadrant also features its own marble Victorian statue.
Because the grounds were created with fundraising in mind, the Girls Inc., Candlelight Tour is a natural extension of the facility.
Girls Inc., is hoping to see not only members of the general public at the event, but also paste alumni.
Girls Inc., is formerly known as Elizabeth City Girls Club. In 1945, Girls Clubs of America was formed from a nucleus of 19 clubs. Currently, there are 89 Girls Inc. affiliates serving girls at 1,300 sites in 350 cities across the United States and Canada.
In 1950 the Elizabeth City Girls Club was the first girls club founded in North Carolina. It was the culmination of more than a year’s effort on the part of a local group of women to organize a club to provide recreation and training for the city’s girls.
In 1951, the club affiliated with Girls Clubs of America. In 1990, the name changed to Girls Incorporated of the Albemarle to follow suit of the National organization.
Through efforts of the Elizabeth City Junior Women’s
Club and funding by the Jaycees, the present building at 304 S. Road Street was purchased in 1963. In 1964 the property was transferred to the Elizabeth City Girls Club and renovated by the Elizabeth City Jaycees.
The building is one of the few Mission Revival Style Buildings in the area and was erected in 1927 as the new funeral home for F.H. Ziegler and Sons who originally opened its doors in 1856 as the first undertakers in the area. The building was used by the Zieglers until 1952 when it was sold to H.W. and R.H. Lynch, who operated Lynch’s Funeral home.
Girls Inc., works to inspire all girls to be strong, smart, and bold through life-changing programs and experiences that help girls navigate gender, economic, and social barriers. Research-based curricula, delivered by trained, mentoring professionals in a positive all-girl environment equip girls to achieve academically; lead healthy and physically active lives; manage money; navigate media messages; and discover an interest in science, technology, engineering, and math.
The organization also provides a host of after-school activities from home work assistance, sewing, and arts and crafts to much needed risk prevention programs such as substance abuse, pregnancy and childhood obesity prevention.
They serve all girls ages 6-to-16, and welcome girls of all backgrounds and socio-economic status. They are also launching a new Economic Literacy Program for 12 to 16 year olds. This program will begin early 2013 and will teach Girls about money and the economy, including how to manage, invest, and save money and how to help others through philanthropy.