GEAR UP is designed to increase the number of students who are prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary education. GEAR UP provides six-year grants to states and partnerships to provide services at high-poverty middle and high schools.
According to directors in Perquimans County, Starr Stepney and Gabrielle Lassiter, their goals include increasing academic performance and preparing for postsecondary education, increasing the rate of high school graduation and participation in postsecondary education and increasing families’ knowledge of the postsecondary education options, preparation and financing.
Foundation announces scholarship opportunities
The Perquimans County Schools Foundation announced the availability of the following scholarships for high school seniors attending Perquimans High School. Deadline to apply for each scholarship is March 5, 2013.
• The Perquimans Schools Foundation Scholarship — The Foundation selects one student each year to award a $1,000.
• The Bogue Scholarship of $2500 is given by Mr. and Mrs. William A. Bogue, Jr. in memory of his mother and father, as well as other family member.
• Claude Brinn Male and Female Athletic Scholarships is a $500 gift from the Athletic Boosters funds for a male and female athlete.
• Shearman Athletic Scholarship — Dave Shearman sponsors the annual Shearman Athletic Scholarship of $500 to a PCHS athlete.
• Rhonda Gregory Business Scholarship — A $1,000 scholarship sponsored by Danny and Rhonda Gregory and is offered to a senior planning to attend College of The Albemarle and entering the field of business.
• Bessie Smith Harrell Scholarship Scholarship of $750 is given in honor of Bessie Smith Harrell.
• Suzanne Towe Haste Merit Award Scholarship of $500 presented to a junior or senior who will major in the arts.
• The Harvey and Elizabeth Alter Science Scholarship of $3,000 is sponsored by Harvey and Elizabeth Alter and is available to a male ($1,500) and a female ($1,500) graduating student who plans to study science.
• The Eugene Rountree, Sr. Scholarship — $250 scholarship in memory of Eugene Rountree Sr. is sponsored by The Inter-County Fire Department and is available to a high school student.