CAMDEN — Off and on rain throughout the day Saturday washed out what was supposed to be the opening games of the Albemarle Easter Tournament and will shorten the event to two days.
Camden baseball coach Doug Leary and athletic director Scott Jones were up at 6 a.m. to take their best guess at whether the weather would hold out for the slate of games to take place. Initially, there was a three-hour delay put in before they made the decision to cancel the day’s games.
As a result, the tournament will be condensed into two days, on Monday and Tuesday, with all seven teams being guaranteed at least two games.
“We got out there first thing and tried to make a smart decision, and then it kind of held off,” Leary said. “It was a mutual call. It looked bad coming in, but we reworked the schedule and we’ll have it all done Monday and Tuesday.”
Leary said the field remains in great shape, and though the light rain that fell throughout the day was more of the off-and-on variety, other factors also played into canceling Saturday’s games.
“My standpoint was that we could play, but (Jones) had to calm me down,” Leary said, laughing. “The main priority is not to make money, but you do want to break even and parents don’t want to sit out in the rain.”
Saturday was to feature three games, but instead, those games will take place Monday, with Edenton and Gates opening play at 10 a.m., followed by Perquimans taking on Northeastern (1 p.m.) and Currituck facing Pasquotank (4 p.m.).
Due to the condensed schedule, an additional game will take place Monday at 7 p.m., with Camden going up against the winner of Currituck/Pasquotank game. That winner will have a berth in the tournament championship game Tuesday at 7 p.m.
The other berth in the championship will be settled with a 4 p.m. game Tuesday, with the Edenton/Gates winner playing the Perquimans/Northeastern winner.
The losers of Monday’s games will play earlier in the day on Tuesday, with those games taking place at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Leary said the decision, for now, not to extend the tournament into Wednesday had to do with pre-made plans by the families of players to go out of town, though there is a chance of thunderstorms Tuesday afternoon that could force teams to play Wednesday.
It was a tough call, Leary said, and it was a decision made with the weather radar showing strong storms that were supposed to move in, which didn’t materialize.
“We gambled not to gamble,” Leary said.