Kitchen fire extinguished

0 Comments | Leave a Comment

Kitchen fire extinguished

Firefighters responded Thursday morning to a fire at a house at 916 Southern Ave., Elizabeth City.

An electrical malfunction in a kitchen appliance was the cause of the incident, Fire Marshal Barry Overman said.

Firefighters received the call at 9:49 a.m. and remained at the scene approximately two hours.

The kitchen sustained extreme fire damage, with smoke and heat damage throughout the entire structure, Overman said.

There were three occupants inside the home at the time of the fire, but no one was injured, Overman said.

The homeowner, Beatrice Dilworth, was alerted by her grandson about the fire, Overman said.

There was a dog in the house at the time of the fire. The dog, which escaped into the yard at the time of the firefighting efforts, was unharmed, Overman said.

Overman said he does not do dollar estimates of damages at fire scenes because they may conflict with the estimates of insurance adjusters.

From staff reports