Police: Four wanted to retaliate for shooting

By Cathy Wilson

The Perquimans Weekly

2 Comments | Leave a Comment

HERTFORD — Four men were arrested in Hertford on weapon charges Sunday after police received a tip that they were planning to retaliate for a shooting Saturday night that killed an Elizabeth City teenager and wounded three other men.

Chief Joe Amos of the Hertford Police Department said Monday that the suspects were each charged with possession of concealed weapons after their vehicle was stopped by a Hertford police detective around 1:20 a.m. Sunday. Each was being detained at Albemarle District Jail in lieu of a $1,000 secured bond.

Amos said his department was notified early Sunday morning that a dark-colored sport utility vehicle was en route to Hertford. Supposedly on board were suspects intent on retaliating for the shooting late Saturday night that claimed the life of 18-year-old Dajuan Brown and sent three other men to the hospital.

Amos said Christopher Firkel, a detective with the Hertford Police Department, spotted a dark blue 2003 Ford Explorer with a plastic bag partially covering its license plate traveling on King Street between Covent Garden and Church Street.

After stopping the vehicle, Firkel found it contained five males, including a 16-year-old, and one female. A subsequent search of the vehicle uncovered a loaded 20-gauge shotgun on the floor underneath the back seat and a .22-caliber handgun in the front seat console.

Four of the males in the vehicle were arrested and charged with possession of concealed weapons. The suspects include:

• Quintin Williesachual Epps, 18, 1300 block U.S. Highway 17 South, Elizabeth City;

• Devon Tyrel Heyder, 18, 700 block Jefferson St., Elizabeth City;

• Willie Roundtree II, 20, 1000 block Baxter St., Elizabeth City; and

• William Eugene Ellison, 19, 200 block Forest Skipper Drive, Elizabeth City.

The other passengers — a 16-year-old male and a female asleep in the cargo area of the SUV — were not charged. Police were unable to awaken the female, whom they suspected was intoxicated. She was transported to an Elizabeth City hospital by Perquimans Emergency Medical Services, police said.

The shooting in Elizabeth City occurred at the intersection of Newby Street and Beechwood Avenue shortly before 11 p.m.

According to Elizabeth City police, Brown, 18, was shot in the head and later died at a Norfolk hospital.

Three other men were injured in the incident.

Arron Lightfoot, 20, who was shot in the abdomen, was in good condition at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, a spokeswoman said.

Sharmon Green, 20, was shot in the hand, and an unidentified 15-year-old was shot in the shoulder, police said.

Green and the 15-year-old were treated and released from Albemarle Hospital.

A Hertford man, Antonio Edward West, 21, of 111 Faith Drive, has been charged with first-degree murder in connection with Brown’s shooting.

Amos said all four of the suspects arrested in Hertford had tattoos that could indicate gang membership. He also noted that Firkel stopped the vehicle on King Street, an area frequented by West.

“I do think they were here to retaliate, and we just caught them before they could shoot anyone,” Amos said.


Timely interference of the

Timely interference of the police authority has saved the city from a serious shootout. The way police department carried out the whole operation was brilliant and didn’t give the subjects to react or escape. And I hope that the shooting case would be solved soon. bucky ball

Just a bunch of bored kids looking for a good time?

I think not! When and where is this madness going to stop? Answer! As soon as the morons quit having babies!

Add comment

Login or register to post comments