Welcome to our column that will keep y’all informed about Historic Hertford, Inc. & Carolina Moon Theater’s events and plans.
As I sit here today, I’m hoping that spring is on the way but there is snow falling. The daffodils are confused and so are we as we move on to March 2020. Will March come in like a lion and out like a lamb? Only time will tell.
Below are some opportunities to become involved and things to do!
- Auditions for Carolina Moon Theater’s upcoming play, “The Red Velvet Cake War” written by Jones, Hope, and Wooten, will be held on Saturday, February 29 from 10 a.m. to noon and again on Monday, March 3 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. All auditions are held at the Carolina Moon Theater, 110 W. Academy Street. If you need more information, visit our website at carolinamoontheaterinc.org. Mark your calendar for the play dates May 15, 16 at 7 p.m. and May 17 at 4 p.m. Why not come out and audition – no experience necessary!
- Historic Hertford, Inc. is looking for vintage items to display in the lobby of our building. Do you have something for us? Anything that was used here in Perquimans County is what we are looking for to put on our shelves. Items need to fit on shelves that are only 12 inches deep and not very high – think book size remember we are in the former library. Posters, photos, kitchen, business or farming items, etc.
- Lights are up! Drop in at 110 W. Academy Street and take a look. The men have been working hard at the Carolina Moon Theater on the stage and “mood” lighting. Thank you Ray Sawyer, Steve Burket and Bob Leuthy! Soon the curtain will go up. We are still in the process of inventorying our costumes and props so if you want to lend a hand, email us at email@example.com
- Carolina Moon Theater will soon have a new website! We hope you will find it easier to use to order tickets and see what is going on at the theater. If you are interested in helping with publicity for the theater, we NEED YOU!
- Historic Hertford, Inc. is busy gearing up for Riverbash! Dates are Friday, April 24, Saturday April 25 and Sunday April 26. :Historic Hertford, Inc. and the Rotary Club of Hertford will be having the Dine, Drink and Dance event on Saturday night. Tickets are on sale now at Carolina Trophy on Church Street and online at historichertfordinc.org. This year we have a great band, Ocean Breeze, coming to entertain you at Dine, Drink & Dance. Tickets are $25.
- March is Membership month for Historic Hertford, Inc. A visit to Hertford is like coming home again! Savor old-fashioned Southern hospitality and rediscover a way of life that has all but disappeared. We hope you will join us in making it a Bell of the South by supporting our annual membership drive. HHI funds façade grants to help local merchants with improvements; buys and maintains the planters, monument flowers, holiday decorations and, of course, provides the lighting for the Grand Illumination. I hope you have noticed the new lamp post banners. Don’t they look great!! Thank you to the Town of Hertford for helping with the funding for them!
Did You Know That…. As we all watch with great interest the construction in the S-Bridge area, here’s a little trivia for you. The S-bridge is a steel truss bridge and was built in 1928. It spans the Perquimans River from Phelps Point to the causeway at the same location as the original 1798 float bridge.
The float bridge rested directly on the water and was buoyed up by a row of empty whiskey or oil barrels on either side. It had a hinged draw in the middle to allow boats to pass. The float bridge proved to be both inconvenient and a continued financial drain.
Hertford’s newspaper sarcastically reported on July 27, 1892: “We can justly claim the only float bridge in the world and we can also remark that we are the only people in the world that want one.”